Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Fashion Designer

In a blink of an eye, you will think that the life of a fashion designer may seem fascinating. Full of glamour and sophistication. After all, he or she is surrounded by beauty all the time. From the start of fashion-sketches to the models wearing the pieces on the runway up to the major malls and stores or boutiques where the designs are being displayed, fashion design is an exciting job, but it can also be demanding as well.


The one thing that is not surreal in the industry of fashion design is that most designers must pay their dues to be successful. This may mean waking up very early in the morning. Some designers begin their day as early as 4 a.m., and the day may not end at 5:00 p.m. as many jobs do, but most designers are so passionate about fashion that this is hardly perceived as a negative aspect of the job.

The fashion biz is not pure glamour. A typical day for me includes waking up at about 4 a.m. (sometimes earlier) to get dressed and eat breakfast (sometimes I skipped). Next I have to load up my bag with clothes, notebooks, pens and other miscellaneous designers’ equipment. Then I have to ride the company’s car going to the office.

Once I’m sited in my table (my table is positioned diagonally fronting the main door, so that I can see who’s coming in and out of my office.), the first thing I have to do is that to analyze my fashion-business-diary for the current day, and if I have not to be out, I set my mind on planned work: illustrations, graphics, store modules, sample photos, fashion magazines, cup of coffee, survey of yesterday result, and another cup of searing hot coffee. Then after that, I’ll began my computer work: E-mail reading and answering, internet surfing, scanning images, reading fashion blogs, while watching fashion videos about the latest runway shows. 
Next to that, I’ll be meeting my customers, or if not, I’ll be going out to visit the stores, talk to different suppliers and contractors, from the fabric to prints to sewers etc. In the same manner, while walking on the subway or drinking coffee in Starbucks, my mind is occupied with what my eyes are seeing on the street.. what people wears, what is the paint color of the new stores, what is in the display, how the billboards are laid-out.  

And wherever I am at that particular moment, I have to draw sketches – both on arbitrary and defined topics. Then back to the office, I’ll be checking the fitting of the specs of the new prototype that has brought by the sample maker.


Now, it’s up to you readers on how you will look at all this works. If you think it is the best part (drawing, fashion show development, choosing music, scenario, photographing and design exposures), well don’t get confused because the most difficult part of this job lies in there…PUTTING MY WORK PLACE IN ORDER AND THE LONG HOURS OF DEALING WITH SOME PEOPLE’S ATTITUDE.


HUGS, 
TONI

No comments: